Ready or not, it’s that time of year again. The leaves are changing, the temperature is dropping, and our alarm clocks are ringing! Summer break is officially over, and the kids are finally back in school for another year.
Although your kids might argue it, parents around the world can almost all agree that back to school is truly one of the most wonderful times of the year. It means active bodies, active brains, and best of all… peace and quiet in the house (especially for those who work from home)! After a couple of months of sleeping in, playing video games, and whining to mom and dad “I’m bored”, when the school bell rings on Monday morning, it feels as though all is right in the world again! As we dive into the new school year, we at PurelyGreat encourage parents to take a closer look at the products you are supplying your children with. Whether it’s the lunchbox they carry their sandwich in, or the soap they’re using for their bath, it is important to consider the ingredients and materials used to create these products, and to remember that natural products are always better!
You wouldn’t ever intentionally put anything toxic in, on, or around your children’s bodies, but unfortunately, some of the big brands that parents use every day contain some of the worst ingredients!
How Do You Know Which Natural Products To Use?
Start by doing your research… possibly that’s just what you are doing now! It may take some trial and error in order to find the greatest natural products that will suit both you and your family. To help you along in choosing some of the best, and healthiest natural products for your little ones, we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the leading natural products for you to use while your kids are in school.
19 Natural Products To Use While Your Kids Are In School
1. Banana Paper Recycled Notebook – Sometimes the school will supply the notepads for our kids but as they get older they are required to bring in their own. This Banana Paper Recycled Notebook is a great natural product for your kids to use because it is printed with water-based ink and is 100% bleach and acid free! It’s also a product that is sustainable for the environment because it is 100% tree-free as it is made with post consumer waste paper and banana leaf fibres, hence the name!
2. Recycled Newspaper Pencils – There was a time (very long ago now) when pencils had actually posed a risk to those who used them because they contained an extremely harmful element called lead. While pencils are no longer made with such a toxic ingredient, there is still room for improvement. These recycled newspaper pencils go above and beyond to be environmentally friendly. They are a great option for your kids because they are just as solid as regular pencils but a much more natural.
3. Honeysticks 100% Pure Beeswax Crayons – This product may not be one that all of your kiddos need for school, depending on their age, but still one we felt worth looking into. You may be shocked to know that a lot of the big name crayons aren’t the safest for your children to use. There are actually quite a few other products out there, like Honeysticks, that are much more of a natural product for your kids to use. Honeysticks crayons are natural, non toxic, and made with 100% pure New Zealand beeswax. These crayons are not made with any toxic pigments, which means that they are safe for kids of all ages!
4. EcoGear Dhole Backpack – Not only is this backpack described as being durable, but it is also a great alternative to the box store brands. The fabric that the bag is made up of is chlorine-free and is even water resistant! Since it is made from REPREVE fabric it is safe for both your children and the environment. Double bonus!
5. Kid Size Klean Kanteen Water Bottle – What do we like the most about these natural products? Well for starters, they are made from 100% recyclable, high-quality, food-grade stainless steel. One of the biggest concerns today with recyclable, plastic water bottles (besides them filling up landfills), is the chemicals that they leak into our bottled water over time. Unlike these types of bottles, Klean Kanteen’s bottles are stainless steel and BPA free, meaning they won’t release any chemicals, toxins, or funny tastes into what you or your kids are drinking. It has been said to be super durable, and to us sounds very kid friendly! Plus it comes in a number of different and fun colours that children are sure to love!
6. Biodegradable Non-Toxic Cool Ice Packs – The different designs on these ice packs are the perfect piece for your kid’s lunch bag! They work to keep your child’s lunch chilled throughout the day, and they are totally non-toxic. You shouldn’t have to worry about the ice pack’s interior leaking, since they are heat-welded at the seams to avoid this, but just in case a puncture or tear happens, you can rest easy that no chemicals or toxins will be leaking into your little one’s lunch box. The labels that are used for the designs on the ice pack are even printed with ecologically safe, water based ink!
7. Bentology Bento Box-Classic 6 Pc. Set – Getting your kids back into routine during the school year can be a bit of a challenge, especially when it comes to their eating habits. This super cute bento-box is a great option to help keep things organized and fresh for your kid’s lunches. The 6 piece set is totally food safe and is free of lead, BPA, phthalates and PVC.
8. Dr. Bronner’s Organic Hand Sanitizer – First we should note that this product is only available online to Canadian customers. This hand sanitizer is another EWG verified product, and it checks all the boxes for fair trade, vegan friendly and organic. Each of these qualities are especially important in a product like hand sanitizer, as it’s supposed to be getting rid of all the bad! Dr. Bronner’s Organic Hand Sanitizer contains the bare bones of organic ethanol, water, organic glycerin, and organic lavender oil, and in our opinion, that’s all it needs! It is also the perfect size for your child to take to school so that they can keep the bacteria at bay or for you to keep handy in your purse.
9. WooBamboo!™ Eco Friendly Natural Toothbrush – Anybody else say this product title with extreme “WOO” enthusiasm, or was that just us? If you’re still using a plastic toothbrush, drop everything and go check out WooBamboo right away! Seriously, this product, along with some of the others on this list are great for the entire family, not just your kiddos. WooBamboo toothbrushes have bamboo handles, opposed to plastic, which makes them biodegradable and antimicrobial. This means that they won’t sit in a landfill forever (like plastic brushes) and that you don’t have to worry about bacteria growing on your handle (also, like plastic brushes). We all know how 4+ damp toothbrushes sitting in a cup can get pretty nasty, pretty fast! You won’t regret switching over to more natural products for your entire family.
10. SAFIX Biodegradable Compostable Scrub Pad – Picture this… your kids get home from school, unpack their bags then run out the door to get some playtime in before dinner time. In their haste to join their neighbourhood friends they forget to take out all of the containers from their bag and a couple of days later you find the missing container with some stubborn food residue from being left unattended for so long. Sound familiar? We thought so! This scenario is all too familiar to parents alike. Finally, there is a perfect, all natural solution. This is where SAFIX’s biodegradable compostable scrub pad comes in to work its magic. Interestingly enough, this product is made 100% from coconut fibres. It helps to quickly remove stubborn stains and is also gentle, safe, and soft for your hands. In fact, this product is gentle enough that you could get your kids to help out with the dishes – but with that, we wish you the best of luck!
11. Purelygreat’s Goat Milk Soap – Oatmeal & Honey – This is one of our own natural products that is awesome for the whole family. It smells great and is made from 100% Natural Goat’s Milk. It’s perfect for when the kids are getting home from school and need to wash away all the germs from a big day of sharing pens and pencils, sneezes and coughs, and playing in the dirt. Goat’s milk soap is also increasing in popularity due to its ability to treat acne, so if you’ve got teens going through the dreadful pimple phase, it may definitely be worth giving a product like this a try!
12. Purelygreat’s Total Body Wash – Lavender – Another one of our own natural products that we couldn’t resist putting on this list. Our Total Body Wash is great for a lot of reasons, but the best part of all is that it’s multifunctional. Not only can this product be used as an everyday body wash for the kids, but it can also be used as a shampoo or bath soak as well, for those days when they really get into a mess! It’s 100% natural and lightly scented with lavender essential oil. If lavender isn’t your thing, this product comes unscented, or in a citrus flavour too. It also contains olive oil to keep skin feeling not only fresh and clean, but also very smooth!
13. Purelygreat’s Natural Deodorant Family Pack – Since this list is really to benefit the entire family, we thought it was totally necessary to include the PurelyGreat Deodorant Family Pack. This family pack allows you to select four of our all natural, aluminum free deodorants, in any scent, so everybody can get exactly what they want, while smelling and feeling fresh. We have a wide variety of natural deodorants that can suit your needs, your partner’s needs, and of course the needs of your children. It’s often during the pre-teen days when deodorant becomes the most necessary for our kids, but some of the big product names we all know contain the exact ingredients you don’t want to be giving your young ones. With Purelygreat’s all natural deodorant you won’t have to worry about the long-term effects that using aluminum may cause, and you can keep both yours and your children’s lymph nodes healthy. We also package our deodorant in recyclable jars which make them eco-friendly! Each jar lasts about 2-3 months, and the product is even vegan friendly!
14. Eco Lips Hemp Organic Lip Balm Vanilla Flavour – Did somebody say vanilla? We love organic products with a little bit of flavour! It keeps things interesting and it doesn’t hurt that this product has natural healing properties. Eco Lips use only the best organic ingredients, meaning that everything in this product is grown without the use of nasty pesticides or chemicals. This is a perfect product for those cold winter days when your kids have to walk to school or to the bus. A balm like this will help to shield your children’s lips from harsh winds and below zero temperatures (should you live in a Northern area, like us!).
15. BurnOut KIDS Sunscreen, SPF 35 – Yes, the kids being back in school may mean that summer is almost officially over, but this doesn’t mean that we are out of the woods completely when it comes to our kids getting too much sun. Students are still getting out during recess and lunch time and are completely susceptible to burns. Heck, those of us with fair skin even know the struggle of getting burnt through the winter! That’s why it’s important that they stay protected from the sun year round. The BurnOut KIDS Sunscreen is an EWG verified sunblock product that, unlike most others, is chemical-free, paraben-free, petroleum-free, and PABA-free, so you can leave your worries about this product at the door! Just be sure to read the ingredients list that you can find on their website if you or your kids have any allergies.
16. VONBON™ ¾ Sleeve Tee – Gender neutral and organic! Who knew even the clothes your kids wear could be organic too?! These tops are fashionable, sustainable, and most importantly, safe for your kids. They’re made with super soft organic bamboo, organic cotton, and organic spandex. You may have already stocked up on some back to school clothes already but if your kids tend to have a growth spirt halfway through the year, then we recommend checking this company out.
17. VONBON™ Basic Black Legging – We just couldn’t help but to complete the outfit! These basic black leggings would go with just about anything and once again these clothes are safe for your kids, made from completely organic materials (bamboo, cotton, and spandex to be exact). Not only do these natural materials make them safer and more sustainable, but they also make the quality of these items way above average. What more could you ask for from natural products?
18. Laundry Stain Remover – Citrus Zest – Kids get messy. There is just really no way to avoid it, but what you can avoid is using toxic products to get those annoying stains out of their clothes. It’s an EWG Verified product and it is made with worry-free, plant and mineral based hypoallergenic ingredients. It is both a natural and gentle product so you don’t have to stress about over using it on your kids clothes.
19. Laundry Detergent – Citrus Zest – Here’s another natural product by ATTITUDE that is also EWG Verified. Once again, they only use natural ingredients to effectively help you to clean you and your child’s clothes. It can even be used to in cold water cycles to help you save on energy! This detergent also comes in different scents, so be sure to explore their website a little more to find the right fit for you and your family.
While not all of these natural products may be needed in your specific household, we feel that taking a further look into the products you and your family are currently using is a really good idea. If you have already used any of the products we have shared above we would love to hear your feedback on them. As well, if you yourself already use a lot of natural products for your kids feel free to share them in the comments below! You can never be too cautious when it comes to your child’s health and safety. We hope this list helps to guide you in your shopping for natural products you and your kids will use while they are back in school. Have a safe and toxic free year!